RE: Beer as a chelating agent for uranium

My interpretation of what George was referring to is not a change in
the pH of the blood, but rather a change in the pH of the urine. The
taking of bicarbonates to buffer the urine was used by some in the past
because the solubility of nicotine decreases as the pH is increased.
This had the effect of allowing the nicotine to remain in the blood
(less was removed via the urine)for longer periods thereby reducing
one's craving for cigarettes (the original goal). What other waste
products also were building up in the urine as a result is another
health question. I believe that the diuretic effect is most likely
what is important, so any increase in fluid intake should work.

By the way, when I supervised the Army's Nuclear Accident Incident
Control Team in Okinawa back in the 70's, it was customary to store
large caches of beer as treatment for accidental intakes of tritium.
The thought was not that beer was more effective than other liquids,
but it was easier to get the victims cooperation in the consumption.

Bob Loesch
US Department of Energy
DOELAP Program Manager