RE: KMS Fusion Inc

Larry,

I worked for KMS for a time as a graduate student at Michigan.  At that
time, pre-1980, they were a privately funded company trying to develop
laser-confinement fusion for power applications.  Yes, I did say
'privately funded'.  It was a dream of the company's founder, who ended
up divesting most of his other business assets, which I recall to be
substantial, in order to achieve that goal.

Later, as the funds were depleted, they did turn to DOE for funding,
since they had made some progress in storage and handling of tritium,
and in production of laser-fusion targets, tiny glass pellets loaded
with tritium.  That ended a few years ago with some controversy
regarding the contracts and technology transfer issues, as I seem to
recall.

I don't know the current status, but I think that KMS is now defunct,
and the facility is closed.  Not sure if DOE owns the technology now, or
if there are still lawsuits pending.

Hope this helps, feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.
Not sure I can answer them, but will try.

Doug Minnema, CHP
Defense Programs, DOE
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own...