RE: Tritium Therapy & Beer Drinking

Since the term "chelation" has been used in this thread, I feel the need to
point out that forcing fluids to increase the elimination of tritium is not,
strictly speaking, "chelation".  This term has, unfortunately, been used by
some to be synonymous with medical intervention for internal contamination.
NCRP-65 describes four different treatment scenarios for internal
contamination.

The first are "procedures to reduce gastrointestinal absorption."  This
includes stomach-lavage, emetics (for induction of vomiting), purgatives,
aluminum-containing antacids, etc.  The second are "blocking and diluting
agents."  These block metabolic processes in a specific tissue, such as
potassium iodide.  "Forced fluids" for increased elimination of tritium is
included in the blocking/diluting agent category.

The third category is "mobilizing agents" that increase the natural turnover
of the substance from body tissues.  This category includes diuretics for
sodium and other electrolytes and ammonium chloride for strontium.  The
fourth and last category is "chelating agents."  this refers specifically to
chemical compounds that enhance the excretion of metals by bonding with
them.

I hate to be nit-picky, but I think proper use of terms is the best way to
ensure that people know what we're talking about.

Gus

C. A. Gus Potter
Sandia National Laboratories
Albuquerque, New Mexico