RE: Scrap metal recycling -Reply

Well I wasn't going to get in this either, but I must comment on "voluntary
v. involuntary."  Let's forget about hang gliding or mountain climbing, or
even bicycling to work (as I do).  Let's take a real-life case: Gates Rubber
Co. (no relation to Bill) had a factory in Denver located so that the
workers could walk to work or take a bus.  Gates moved out of town to an
industrial park not served by mass transit and not within walking distance
of any residential area.  You can figure out the choice the workers had.  Is
driving to work a ":voluntary" activity under those circumstances?

This is not an isolated case.  I think many of us can find analogues in our
lives -- I know I can.  How about dental x-ray?  How often is one refused?
Is that a voluntary activity?

There is a gigantic gray area between voluntary and involuntary activity,
and I propose that the distinction, when discussing risk, is meaningless and
spurious.

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Sandia National Laboratories