Re: irradiated food labels

Radsafers

I received this when I wrote an email (paraphrasing the letter below) to Public
Citizen about their clever use of words in the call for a letter writing
campaign.  I wondered in the letter if all their positions are based on a
similar foundation.  This was the reply in its entirety.

Rob Gunter

****************

Dear Sir:

The FDA docket on labeling is a thinly disguised attempt to dilute the
labeling requirement for irradiated food. Public Citizen wants to see a
meaningful label that consumers will recognize, so that they are informed
about how their food has been processed. This basic right-to-know is an
important consumer protection.

No long term studies exist that prove that irradiated food is safe. Food
irradiation is not the solution to the public health problems created by
unsanitary, inhumane, and environmentally  destructive factory farming
practices.

Wenonah Hauter
Director, Public Citizen's Critical Mass Energy Project

Wenonah Hauter
Director,
Public Citizen's Critical Mass Energy Project
202-546-4996, ext.350
Visit our website: http://www.citizen.org/cmep

Bernard L Cohen <"blc+"@pitt.edu> on 05/06/99 06:55:30 AM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu