terminology

DoE has originated some terms that could be profitably used in the NRC world.

The first is the use of 'legacy' as an adjective, e.g., legacy contamination.  This term has the connotation that it didn't happen on my watch so I'm not responsible, and given the normal favorable implications of the word it even adds a positive flavor to the condition it is modifying.  I think whoever coined this usage should be identified and properly rewarded.  [Note:  Those grammarians who object to converting nouns to adjectives will simply have to accept that this is a highly technical term inappropriate for the normal Webster's dictionary, or Oxford dictionary for those other English folks.]

The second is 'skill-of-the-craft'.  Let's face it, writing detailed procedures to describe commonsense precautions and techniques is a lot of work, and frequently futile.  The term 'skill-of-the-craft' covers all sorts of ground (sins?) and saves a lot of work.

We need more terminology like these, and more universal utilization.  More suggestions?  :-)

Disclaimer:  Only my opinions .....
Lester Slaback, Jr.  C.H.P.  [Lester.Slaback@NIST.GOV]
NBSR Health Physics
Center for Neutron Research
NIST
100 Bureau Dr.  STOP 3453
Gaithersburg, MD  20899-3543
301 975-5810 voice
301 921-9847 fax
"A little risk adds a bit of spice to life."