Doses from criticality accidents

Dear RADSAFERs

I am in the early stages of developing a seminar on criticality safety
for our local HPS chapter certification class.  (As this is on a short
notice, I beg the forgiveness of those who will suggest that I spend
time in the library :-)

I am well versed in the physics of criticality accidents, and past
experiences, but am looking for a fairly simple way of estimating prompt
radiation levels resulting from such an event.  I know that we can
calculate these with good precision from computer codes, but I find that
simple hand calculations based upon first principles provide a better
way of demonstrating the processes in the classroom.  Note that I am not
looking for dosimetry techniques, but rather methods based upon the
characteristics of the event, such as number of fissions, anticipated
spectra, prompt gamma yields, etc.  I am formulating a simple model in
my mind, but would like to compare it with others if possible.

Anybody have any suggestions that might help point me in the right
direction?  Please respond directly to me at the address below.  If
there is enough interest, I will happily summarize the responses in a
later message back to RADSAFE.

Thanks,

Doug Minnema, CHP
Defense Programs, DOE
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own ...