Re: Radiation hormesis

Radsafers,

Glen presents an interesting point of view.  Since ionizing radiation
is simply a form of energy, it can be readily compared with other
forms of energy and their effects.  Keep in mind that there is no
type of energy that is safe in high levels.  Radiation is the only
one to which a LNT is applied.  The LNT is a political
position and, most likely, not an accurate description of reality.
Personally, I'd like to see radiation regulated to prevent real
damage, much the way we do with other forms of energy, rather than
treat it like the witchcraft trails of the late 17th century in New
England.

An example:  Sunlight is known to cause cancer, cataracts, and a host
of other detrimental effects.  If, out of precaution for the health and
well being of the general public, a Solar Regulatory
Commission decided to apply a linear no-threshold model to solar
radiation risk, we would probaby have to close beaches and other
outdoor activities to keep exposure limits within acceptable limits.  Even on a
cloudy day you would be exposed, and that may be unacceptable, unless
you have a need to be outside that overrode the risk.  If a lifeguard
gets melanoma 20 years later, can he/she sue his employer to a
hazardous working environment?  But wait, sunlight is essential for
life!  Being exposed 60 times in a day for 1 minute each time is
beneficial (i.e., promotes Vitamin D), where one exposure of 60
minutes can result in sunburn, which is a significant risk factor for
skin cancer.  How does one assure that recurrent exposures to trace
levels of sunlight do not cause sun cancer?
What about potential energy (ie altitude)?  If a person falls from
100 feet, there's a strong liklihood the person would die.  The LNT
would say that if you hop to a height of 6 inches, one out of
200 hops you would die.  That's not true.  It's called exercise and
it is promoted as a salubrious effect.  Once again the LNT doesn't fit
and shouldn't be applied.
Name the energy, electricity, UV radiation, heat, impact, wind, etc.,
Each has levels where truly harmful effects can be observed.  And
each has lower levels which are either beneficial or inconsequential.
Ionizing radiation is no different.
How does this apply to the proposed rules for setting an allowance
limit for releasing metals for recycling to the public domain?  The
proposed release values will result in exposures that are fractions
of background or inconsequential compared to the natural variability
of background.  We cannot prove radiation is safe in low levels; however
we do know that low levels are NOT UNSAFE, which is the same
criteria we apply to all other forms of energy that we commonly
experience.
Tom
 >In a message dated 5/4/99 6:04:57 PM EST, 7pe@ornl.gov writes:
 >
><< Why should the public take on any additional risk, no matter how trivial in
 > some people's opinion, to assist the nuclear/defense industry in getting
 > rid of their contaminated scrap?  The only measurable cost benefit is to
 > industry, none to the public (unless there IS a hormetic effect). >>
 >
 >Even IF there is a demonstrable hormetic effect, how does one assure that the
 >"beneficial" dose from contaminated scrap metal plus nuclear power plants
 >plus fossil-fuel power plants plus radwaste disposal facilities plus
 >household radon plus doctors' offices plus dentists' offices plus high-flying
 >airliners plus...plus...plus...is still "beneficial"?
 >
 >An exposure which ALONE might have a beneficial effect, might have a
 >detrimental effect when combined with all other exposures.  Unless the
 >proponents of radiation hormesis can assure that their proposed contribution
 >to the recipient's total exposure still has a cumulative hormetic effect,
 >hormesis should remain an interesting, but practically useless phenomena.
 >
 >Glenn
 >GACarlson@aol.com
Tom Mohaupt, MS, CHP
Wright State University
Radiation Safety Officer

Voice:  (937) 775-2169
Fax:  (937) 775-3301
E-mail:  tom.mohaupt@wright.edu
Address:  104 Health Sciences Bldg, Wright State University
          Dayton, OH 45435