Re: Radiation hormesis

Dear Glenn,

    What I really meant to say is that you do not have to worry
about inadvertently going beyond the hormetic region because
any nonlinear cause-effect relationship needs total accumulated
doses.  Nothing else will do!  Note also that any model different
from the linear model is by necessity nonlinear.  I have to say this
because some people think that a linear relationship that does not
go through the origin is still linear.  Not so, it is a 'truncated linear'
and therefore nonlinear in some places.

As for the references, some of the most important are:

1.  Seiler, F.A., and J.L. Alvarez, "Definition of a Minimum
     Significant Risk," Technol. J. Franklin Inst., 331A, 83-95,
     1994.

2.  Alvarez, J.L., and F.A. Seiler, "New Approaches to
     Low-Dose Risk Modeling," Technol. J.  Franklin Inst.,
     333A, 33-51, 1996.

3.  Seiler, F.A., and J.L. Alvarez, "Use of Nonlinear Dose-
     Effect Models to Predict Consequences," Transactions
     of the American Nuclear Society, 75, 412-413, 1996.

Joe and I  have both spoken at many meetings about the dose
requirements for use with nonlinear dose-effect relationships. I
hope you can find them, otherwise we will have to try some
other method.

Best regards

Fritz

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.