Re: Radiation hormesis

In a message dated 5/6/99 1:06:16 PM EST, tmohaupt@wright.edu writes:

<< Glen presents an interesting point of view.  Since ionizing radiation
 is simply a form of energy, it can be readily compared with other
 forms of energy and their effects.  Keep in mind that there is no
 type of energy that is safe in high levels.  Radiation is the only
 one to which a LNT is applied.  The LNT is a political
 position and, most likely, not an accurate description of reality.
 Personally, I'd like to see radiation regulated to prevent real
 damage, much the way we do with other forms of energy, rather than
 treat it like the witchcraft trails of the late 17th century in New
 England. >>

My issue is not whether LNT, or LT, or NLT, or NLNT is the more accurate
model for calculating risks from radiation exposure, but, rather, how any
alternative to LNT would be implemented.

Let's ASSUME the LNT model for radiation exposure is invalid, and, say, there
is a threshold exposure below which increasing exposure produces no
increasing or, even, a decreasing risk of excess cancer, and, above that
threshold, increasing exposure results in increasing risk.

Do we agree, then, that exposures above that threshold should only be
permitted if the increased risk is outweighed by some benefit?  And, do we
also agree that exposures below that threshold may be permitted without
regard to whether there is a corresponding benefit?

Now, assuming we agree up to this point, my question is:

How is one to determine for which situations the cost-benefit analysis must
be done (i.e, the NET benefit of the exposure MIGHT be negative) and for
which the cost-benefit analysis need not be done (i.e, the NET benefit of the
exposure CANNOT be negative)?

Glenn
GACarlson@aol.com