RE: settlement - ludicrous!

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Potter, Charles wrote:

> On the other hand, we're judging 40-year old actions with modern morality.
> Keith Schiager gave a talk here a few years ago when the plutonium
> experiments were reported on.  He said that informed consent was not what it
> is today.  Most of the time patients were told what was going to happen and
> why, but there was no documentation.  I really have a problem with dragging
> people through the mud, like Wright Langham has been recently, who were
> doing what they thought was necessary.

	-There was no question about informed consent in the Cincinnati
case. The informed consent to the radiation treatment was well documented,
and was never an issue. In fact, they even used double informed consent --
signed consent at least 1-2 days apart so the patient could discuss the
matter with clergy or friends in case they wanted to reconsider.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260