Re: settlement - ludicrous!

> I don't support irrational settlements, either, but in this case I would
> say that the attorneys were more in tune with costs and public opinion
> than with science.

Bob,

I totally agree with you, that this settlement most likely resulted in
less cost than going forward with a trial.On the other hand, one
never knows for sure, but it is a crap shoot. To date, most lawsuits
filed for wrongful death due to exposure to radiation, filed at even
background levels, have for the majority, resulted in favor of the
defendant (if I recall correctly information from ANI attorneys, and
others). In any event, the suit was frivolous, and the fact that any
$$ were expended is still a sad commentary on the "nuclear
option" in general. Granted, the media focuses on this, but the
general attitude of the public is, that radiation is dangerous. They
do not accept that radiation isn't dangerous, but it must be
respected.

I for one don't expect this attitude to change in my lifetime. I do not
believe the public will ever accept the fact that the LNT is flawed,
and how could they, when we can't even agree amongst ourselves.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205

              - G. K. Chesterton -