RE: DU -- FYI

There are some statements from both sides in this press article that require
some serious qualification.

For example, the statement that DU is much less radioactive than Unat.  The
U-235 chain is unimportant in the context of activity of either Unat or DU,
so Unat comprises principally four nuclides (unless it's exceedingly fresh)
of nominally equal activity, and DU comprises the same activity of the first
three of these (unless it's exceedingly fresh), plus a small quantity of the
remaining U-234.  If you looked at both Unat and DU with a G-M pancake
detector you'd be hard-pressed to differentiate between the two, because
almost everything you're seeing is the same Pa-234m in each case.  With
regard to doses from potential intakes, the activity of alpha emitters (the
uranium isotopes) in DU is nominally half that of the same mass of Unat.

And on the other side, the statement about 200 mrem/h from DU fragments or
rounds.  To one significant figure (actual is about 10% higher) this dose
rate is from a saturation thickness (with respect to the Pa-234m beta range
in uranium) of a uranium slab (not fragment), due almost exclusively to the
heavy Pa-234m betas.  Does the NRC really have a maximum limit of 100
mrem/year for small-area surface dose, as is ostensibly implied by the last
two paragraphs of the press article?

Bruce Heinmiller CHP
heinmillerb@aecl.ca