Re: Radiation Control Technician

> Bartlett Nuclear
> who told me they were short 1800 techs for the scheduled outages this
> spring.  The data does not lie, there is a shortage of HP techs.

Doug,

The issue has to do with short outages at nuclear plants, lower
perdiem, the fact that the individual is now taxed on items that they
were not taxed before, less hours, no OT,, etc. There aren't the
incentives to work the outages. This is not an issue of degrees,
etc. While working at FPL for 22 years, I would say that < 75% had
degrees. The key to the hiring was the experience level. Over the
past few years, a majority of the plants ONLY wanted Sr. Techs,
eliminating the Jr. Tech positions. This eliminates ALL entry level
techs. But the Sr. don't want to work when they can't make any
money. You don't earn a living working a 30 day outage without OT.
Plain and simple.

Your data is still a small sample of the entire population out there.
You can't assume your hypothesis to be true for all HP hiring with
a small sample. All you need to do is look at the HPS survey that
was recently completed and published. I am confident that my
statements are accurate, and can be validated by many of the
power reactor HPs here in Radsafe, who either hire, or, interface
with the rent-a-techs.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205