Re: Radiation Control Technician

I am sorry but I disagree with the statement that grads are having a
difficult time finding jobs.  I have four students that will graduate on
saturday and all have been in contact with numerous companies and will all
select a company within a few weeks(after a short break they say).  Most of
them are not nuclear power plants but some are.  One student was flown to
Farley last week for testing and an interview.  Time will tell how it went
but I have no doubt that see did great due to the fact that she worked at a
local plant as a student.The majority are universities, and research labs.
If you look back at the jobs posted on radsafe you would see what I am
talking about.  In the past month over 50 HP jobs have come through the
college's placement office.  It is statements like yours that are
generalizing the health physics career opportunities that is reducing the
number of individuals coming in to the profession.  If you do not feel
there is a need for more HP grads, I invite you to talk to Bartlett Nuclear
who told me they were short 1800 techs for the scheduled outages this
spring.  The data does not lie, there is a shortage of HP techs.  As for
your point about the change in outage lenght, I agree.  This is the time I
would recommend individual improve their technical skills by taking college
courses in order to obtain a plant position if that is the goal or move up
to senior level.
That is my 2 cents worth,
Doug Gossen
Lakeshore Technical College