Re: Radiation Control Technician

Sandy Perle wrote:

>  The key to the hiring was the experience level. Over the
> past few years, a majority of the plants ONLY wanted Sr. Techs,
> eliminating the Jr. Tech positions. This eliminates ALL entry level
> techs. But the Sr. don't want to work when they can't make any
> money. You don't earn a living working a 30 day outage without OT.
> Plain and simple.

  It is easy to pick out statements, like the one above, and make a comment
on it - so for the sake of argument I have done this - however, I would like
to know what will happen when the senior techs retire, and there are no
junior or entry level techs to take their place.  If they are not working
under a senior tech, nor being trained (and college courses don't count
because this is not hands on experience) by one, who will do the jobs when
the personnel are required.  This seems to be a downwared spiraling
condition - when it bottoms out, what will happen ?  Will these junior and
entry level techs then be able to command or demand high pay, OT, etc...
again.

Thanks,

Steve Hand
Radiation Safety