Re: Radiation Control Technician

Steve,

By the time this becomes an issue, there probably will be few
operating plants remaining. That is the sad part of the nuclear
option as we know it today. There is no simple answer to your
questions. I wish there were, and it was something that we
grappled with, while I was still with the utility. It has become worse
in the few years since I left.

What most utilities are moving towards today is to use their
corporate staffs and sister plant staff (when they exist) to augment
site staff during outages. This has been going on for quite some
time. There has also been the move to train staff, other than rad
protection, to perform their own surveys, and perform other actions
that had been previously only a function of the RPM or RCT. This is
called Advanced Radworker Training. There are serious
consequences if this program is not implemented efficiently, and
effectively.

In the end, the population of qualified techs will diminish. Other
answers escape me.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205