Re: Atomic Train Farce

Sandy,

I would have to disagree.  I think there is a big difference between
radiation professionals preparing for a worse case scenario and the media's
gross negligence in concocting a story line to play on people's fears and
generate $.  I think this is more of an educational issue as to what exactly
is radiation?  You ask anybody who is deathly afraid of radiation and I'll
bet you they don't even know they get a background dose just for living.
The issue is the public's education of our risks and science, not of how we
conduct our emergency drills.  I do agree that our profession needs to share
some of the blame.  We have all of this knowledge and yet in many cases, we
have failed to educate the public in a way 'they' can understand.
--
James P. Abraham

Phone:  (970) 491-3928  Fax:  (970) 491-4804
email:  jimabe@lamar.colostate.edu