BWR Rod Movement

     Questions for BWR power reactor types (or anybody else with some
     knowledge/insight):

     1. Do you perform (or have you evaluated) rod movement (e.g., venting,
     timing, friction testing, etc.) while performing reactor reassembly?

        More specifically, do you allow (or have you evaluated) rod
     movement with water level drained to the vessel flange, head removed
     and personnel in the cavity?

     2. If you allow or are considering the above described activity, do
     you have any precautions, requirements or justifications other than
     SDM demonstration (post core reload) and consideration of single rod
     lockout interlock?

     3. Assuming you're still with me - have you evaluated the likelihood
     and consequences of a scenario involving a rod drop concurrent with
     withdrawal of a proximate rod for the situation described above?

     My questions tie in with old "line of sight" requirements that many
     BWRs are relaxing or have relaxed. I will appreciate any assistance
     you can give me. Please respond via private e-mail or give me a call.
     I will gladly summarize and post privately to those that are
     interested.

     Chris Wend
     Sr. Radiological Engineer
     Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station