RE: Natural Thorium

Elizabeth,

Your answer is sufficiently accurate for a geologist in the mineral
extraction industry (See NRCP 118), but might not be adequate if he/she
is working on a radioactive waste repository or a thorium compound
processing facility that will accept thorium from all possible DOE/DOD
operations.

As you indicate, natural thorium is the naturally occurring distribution
of thorium isotopes (essentially 100% Thorium by weight.)  For example,
Th-228 in near equilibrium Th-232.  However, it is possible to
accumulate inventories of thorium (compounds) from various fuel/weapon
cycle activities that yield Th-232/Th-232, Th-229 and Th-230 in
significantly different proportions.  Different proportions will yield
different specific activities depending upon the mixture and would
present a range of  "doses per mass of intake" (and a complex
radon/thoron release scenario).

Craig Reed
Novoste
creed@novoste.com