Re: physicians [think they] know everything

Hi all,

Here is my own opinion and take on the facts, not that of anyone else and
does not represent the State's (or any other agencies) official report.
There really is not much else to say about the Event that is not in the
NRC notice, but since you asked:

Someone (a doctor) flying in from Thailand brought a few mCi of liquid
I-131 into the US on a plane to treat his cat for a thyroid problem. The
iodine was in a small sealed glass vial, in a small soft sided pouch, in
the middle of his checked luggage. It was not shielded and only cushioned
by the clothes in the bag and the pouch. He was given the material in a
foreign country, where he was working. The sealed vial was labeled with a
trefoil on it and "I-131" (among other information).

Upon arrival at the airport, the person picked up their luggage and was
exiting the baggage area, when one of the US Customs agent's alarming
radiation detectors alarmed.  The person was taken to a room, where the
Customs officials determined that the luggage contained the material
(vice the person), at which point we were called.  The material was
confiscated, bags surveyed and released. The iodine was in the luggage
storage area of the plane, so the calculated doses for the passengers
from the iodine were minimal (less than the additional cosmic radiation
dose they received during the flight). The only dose of note was that one
of the Custom officials picked up the vial to inspect it (note: don't do
that). He received a "small" extremity dose,although not a significant
health risk. It showed that the Customs folks need to be reminded that
they should not handle RAM until it is identified. The FAA , EPA, and
Customs are all involved in the investigation.  All in all, we are VERY
glad the vial did not break.

Further actions are forth coming by Federal agencies. The item is in
decay storage.

PS: we have several licensed vets in our State that do iodine treatments
for cats on a routine basis. So, do not try this at home!