Re[2]: Kosov DU - New Scientist Report

     David J. Hornsey wrote:

     >>I think many of us will be interested to read Eric Daxon's response
     to the New Scientist's piece on depleted uranium contamination of the
     army health physicist Doug Rokke.<<

     Here is my letter.  In fairness to Army health physicists, of which I
     am one, Doug Rokke is a Reserve Army major and he does carry Army's
     specialty designator, but he is by no means reflective of the quality
     and integrity of the competent health physicists that are in the Army
     and work for the Army.  Contrary to press reports, he has never been
     the Army's or the Pentagon's expert on depleted uranium.  Some very
     competent health physicists served and are serving in that post.  As
     always these are my personal opinions.
     _

     Dear Sir or Madam:

     I am writing this letter in response to your 5 Jun 99 article "Too Hot
     to Handle" by Rob Edwards.  These are my opinions and my observations.

     Apparently the "New Scientist" is not required to confirm his facts or
     critically review the information provided before publication nor are
     they required to present all of the data available on an issue.  Here
     are some specifics that some of which can be found either in the RAND
     report or in the review of the use of depleted uranium in the Gulf War
     written by the Office of the Special Assistant for Gulf War Illnesses.
      Both are available at www.gulflink.osd.mil.

     The first issue is the urine level quoted in your article for Doug
     Rokke.  I have, as a part of my duties, been investigating this
     incident.  There are three points that need to be included in your
     article.

     First, the Department of Energy did not take the sample because of
     Doug Rokke's Gulf War experience.  The urine sample was taken because
     Doug Rokke participated as an observer in a depleted uranium test at a
     DOE test facility in which depleted uranium was aerosolized.  The
     sample was taken to ensure he did not internalize DU from this test.

     Second, the uranium measured could have been natural uranium.  The
     analysis was done using a technique (kinetic phosphorescence analysis)
     that could not distinguish between natural uranium and depleted
     uranium.

     Third, the analysis was never confirmed.  Surprisingly, a repeat
     sample was never taken.  This is the first step any competent health
     physicist would have taken and it would have been the very first thing
     I as a health physicist would have requested once I learned of the
     results.

     Unmentioned in the article are the numerous bioassays taken by the US
     Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense in 1993,
     1994 and subsequent tests conducted on other, more highly exposed Gulf
     War Veterans.  All were negative except for personnel with embedded
     depleted uranium fragments.  The key is these personnel were tested at
     the same point in time after the Gulf War that Doug Rokke was tested.
     They were all negative.

     Unquestioned in the article was the link between the alleged ailments
     and depleted uranium exposure.  Each of the ailments mentioned occur
     naturally.  Doug Rokke has made these claims in many public forums and
     to the press on several occasions but has not yet provided proof (real
     data) linking DU to his ailments.  Unreported in the article are the
     hundreds of articles dating back to the early 1940's detailing what is
     and what is not a health effect of uranium oxides.

     More importantly, there were several studies of workers routine
     exposed to much higher levels of aerosolized uranium on a daily basis
     with no reports of the ailments described in the article.  These are
     summarized in the RAND report and a variety of other peer-reviewed
     scientific reports that are mentioned in the RAND report.

     The most flagrant failure to verify was printing, without criticism,
     critique, or even a common sense test Doug Rokke's allegation that the
     Kosovars will "_ return to a contaminated environment where the may
     become ill."  What was this allegation based upon?  This is certainly
     not based upon all of the studies of occupational workers done to date
     nor is it based in common sense.  A point to consider, the average
     concentration of natural occurring uranium in the soil on the earth is
     such that there is approximately 5 to 10 tons of natural (more
     radioactive than DU) uranium square kilometer (at a depth of 1 meter).
      There are some regions of the world where the value is 10 to 20 times
     higher with no adverse effect.  What exactly is the rationale?

     I disagree with the last paragraph in the article.  The ultimate irony
     is you will print these statements without doing even the most
     rudimentary checks of the validity of the position being proposed.
     Science is sometimes about conflicting viewpoints and theory.
     However, in my book, true science requires ensuring the validity of
     both views so that a valid comparison can be made.  Your data are
     flawed.

     If this is "New Science," I hope we all stick with just "Science."

     Eric G. Daxon, PhD, CHP
     Colonel, U.S. Army
     Daxfam@aol.com
     (210) 221-6612