Re: Guidelines for EMF Exposure

Hi all,

I was going to compare US ACGIH standards with the new EU standards but..

What is the correct URL for the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP)? The link I get goes to another link that dead ends.
http://www.sz.shuttle.de/dm1001/icnirp.htm --- links to a page that says the Home page has changed location to: http://www.icnirp.de (a dead end)

At 02:10 PM 6/9/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Posted on the CNN Homepage today.
>

>EU urges limits on
> electromagnetic exposure
>
> June 9, 1999
> Web posted at: 11:53 AM EDT (1553 GMT)
>
> LUXEMBOURG (Reuters) -- European Union health ministers
>agreed on
> common guidelines Tuesday to protect the public against
>excessive exposure
> to potentially harmful electromagnetic fields.
>
> Ministers approved a nonbinding recommendation to limit
>exposure, based on
> limits and reference values drawn up last year by the
>International
> Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection.
>
> The measure sets recommended limits for exposure to
>everyday sources of
> non-ionizing radiation, including power lines, electric
>appliances, electric
> railway systems, broadcast transmitters, cellular radio
>and mobile phone base
> stations.
>
> "This is an important step towards ensuring better
>protection of the public,"
> said German Health Minister Andrea Fischer, who chaired
>the meeting.
>
> The recommendation follows evidence that overexposure to
>non-ionizing
> radiation can damage humans' cardiovascular and nervous
>systems and even
> cause localized heating of body tissues, for example
>through regular use of
> mobile telephones.
>
> "It may be nonbinding, but this really puts a moral
>obligation on member
> states to make sure they provide the maximum protection
>for their citizens,"
> said Barbara Nolan, spokeswoman for acting EU Health
>Commissioner
> Padraig Flynn.
>
> Italy voted against, saying the measure did not reach far
>enough.
>
> Some experts have suggested a link between exposure to
>electromagnetic
> fields and an increased risk of cancer, though the
>ministers said in a
> statement said there was "no convincing evidence" of
>this.
>
>Rick Mannix
>Health Physicist
>Laser Safety Officer
>Univ. of Calif., Irvine
>949-824-6098
>rcmannix@uci.edu

Tad Blanchard /___\ /___\ NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
Sr Health Physics Tech O Code 205.9, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Parallax, Inc / \ Phone: 301-286-9157
A Member of the OHI Team /___\
Fax: 301-286-1618
mailto:tmblanch@pop200.gsfc.nasa.gov