State of MD seeks to close local firm

I am not so sure we (radsafers) aren't falling victim to the same "errors" we accuse the general public of making.  While the article starts out with the dose issue I would venture a guess that the main concern of Maryland is a lack of the ability to get financial assurance from a company that has some serious problems (safety wise and financial).  Remember the article is the writers view of the story and radiation dose catches the publics eye way before lack of financial assurance does.

Also I would think that the dose being reported is from gammas and not neutrons since the concern stated by Maryland deals with stockpiling additional cobalt 60.  When the writer talks about Neutron he is referring to the facility name and not the radiation type.

Obviously  these are my opinions and not those of anyone intelligent!!!

Roger Fenner
State of TN
rfenner@mail.state.tn.us