Re: News of Neutron Products' Status

GAMMATRON wrote:

> Can someone on RADSAFE explain what is meant by "cobalt melts"?
> Is this some kind of process that is routine to this licensee?
> It sounds more like an accidental release.

Back in the 70s & 80s I was involved with replacing Co-60 sources in radiation
therapy units.  We used sources from Neutron Products.  The sources that they made
were fabricated by melting or fusing Co-60 wires that had been activated in a
reactor.  Other sources available were made from packed pellets, and there may have
been a few instances of shifting of the pellets in the canister causing
fluctuations in the output.  So the solid sources from NP were considered an
advantage.

It is my understanding that NP melted the wire into sources on site in MD.

--
Chris Hawkins
Radiation Oncology