Re: tantalum-182 wire vendors

I have some problems to understand the sense and the usefulness of the
below mentioned project. First of all it seems that the person wanting to
undertake this "research" has not really thought it over and has not
planned it carefully, if he does not even know, where to obtain the
necessary Ta-182 wire from. Furthermore I do not understand how toads can
be tracked by Ta-182 - do people run after them with dose rate meters or
contamination monitors? Then they would have to be pretty close and
therefore they would of course disturb the behaviour of the animals and
influence their path. If researchers really want to run after them they
could probably place a colour point on them, which would also be cheaper or
if they want to track them from far away, they could use radiotransmitters.

100 uCi is quite a lot for a radionuclide with 114 days halflife to be
implanted. I wonder whether there are any regulations in the USA regarding
radionuclide use for animal research.

Franz

At 17:18 15.06.1999 -0500, you wrote:
>RADSAFERS:
>
>A while back I asked for information for a researcher who wants to use
>tantalum-182 wire implants to track toads in the wild. It required a license
>amendment and, low and behold, the NRC granted it. Today the researcher
>comes to me and asks where he can purchase Ta-182 wire. My first response
>was, "I don't know. I thought you knew!" I guess he doesn't. We need to get
>working on ordering the wire so they can use it this summer. I'm on my way
>to Boston for the CRSO this weekend, so I'm short of time.
>
>Does anyone out there know of a supplier of specialty radiation sources?
>They want to implant about 100 uCi each in 10 toads.
>
>Thanks a bunch.
>
>Jim Herrold, Radiation Safety Officer
>herrold@uwyo.edu
>
>University of Wyoming
>Environmental Health & Safety
>303 Merica Hall
>Laramie, WY 82071-3413
>
>(307) 766-3277

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schönhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria