inventory

RADIOCHEMISTRY : PAST, PRESENT, FUTURE

It is a common situation that radiochemistry has followed negative trends
in contrast with the role it should have. In a very near future,
radiochemists will be lacking and (political) decisions have to be taken to
remedy to this alarming situation.
Albeit having shared a major position in the development of radiochemistry
and settled an important nuclear industry, France has followed the general
trend. The french Academy of Sciences, concious of the problem, has decided
to create a working group to make the point on the situation, think about
the real stakes and to make suggestions for the future. Within this
framework, the group (12 members) would like to make the point oN the state
of the art in foreign countries. Some relevant information can be found in
the Proceedings of the RADCHEM98 conference (Czech.J.Phys. 49/S1 1999).
However, I would like to go a little further.
I would be grateful to anyone who could help me to get an overview on the
situation in his (or other) country, with the evolution over these last
10/20 years in terms of manpower, budget, etc... Information on particular
lab and/or institutes, institutions is welcome. Also of interest is the
prospective : what are the main topics, the stakes, radiochemistry should
face ? Is it necessary to maintain alive radiochemistry (nuclear chem) ?

***********************************
Jean-Charles ABBE
Laboratoire SUBATECH
Faculte des Sciences et Techniques