RE: attenuation coefficients in air

Andy,

Indeed, the pair production cross section becomes the dominant
interaction at the higher energies.  Not only does the pair production
cross section increase with energy, but a few additional photon
interactions enter the fray beyond what we're used to seeing at the
lower energies.  For instance, photoneutron production requires a
minimum photon energy that exceeds the binding energy of the last
nucleon in the nucleus.  Once that threshold is exceeded, the shield
around a high energy photon source becomes a source of neutrons as well.
All the accelerator folks on Radsafe can probably add a lot more info
(and probably a few interesting stories); so I will defer to them.

Philip

________________________
Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP
TetraTech NUS
900 Trail Ridge Road
Aiken, SC 29803
(803) 649-7963
fulmerp@ttnus.com

Are these mass attenuation coefficients accurate?

If so, what causes this increased shielding effectiveness for very
high-energy gammas?  This seems to contradict what I would intuitively
expect, but my intuition's been wrong before.  Does the pair production
cross-section start to rise above about 50 MeV?