Dose limits for public exposure in the US, UK and Germany

G'day all

I read, in a report today, that the dose limit for members of the public in the US, UK and Germany is 0.25mSv, 0.3mSv and 0.3mSv respectively. I assume that these are actually dose constraints of some sort?? Can anyone tell me if my assumption is correct, or if there is some other significance attached to these doses in the respective countries.

Thanks

Alex Zapantis
Director, State of Environment Reporting
Health Physicist
Office of the Supervising Scientist
Ph: (int+) 61 2 6274 2037
Fax:(int+) 61 2 6274 2060