Re: Dose limits for public exposure in the US, UK and Germany

Yes this is dose constraint. The dose constraint for each source is intended
to ensure that the sum of doses to the critical groups from all controlled
sources remains within the dose limit.

Such  criteria for the limitation of individual dose,  can range from 0.1 to
1.0 mSv per year. This is because the principles   of justication,
optimization and individual dose limitation are interpreted in different
ways by national authorities, mainly when they are dealing with radioactive
waste disposal.

Example:

Criteria  for radioactive waste disposal adopted or being adopted by some
countries:

France 1.00 mSv/year
Germany 0.30 mSv/year
Brazil 0.30 mSv/year
United States 0.25 mS/y (whole Body), 0.75 mSv/y (thyroid), 0.25 mSv/y (any
other organ)
Sweden 0.10 mSv/year
Switzerland 0.10 mSv/year
United Kingdon 0.10 mSv/year

Source:

The Development of Criteria for Radioactive Waste Disposal, K. P. Wagstaff -
INFO 0158, Canadian Radiation Protection Association Workshop, Toronto, 1985

Revisiting Goiania: Toward a final repository for radioactive Waste, A.S.
Paschoa, A. Tranjan Filho, J. J. Rozental - IAEA Bulletin, Vol 35, N 1 -
1993
J. J. Rozental
josrozen@netmedia.net.il
Israel

At 01:41 AM 7/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>G'day all
>
>I read, in a report today, that the dose limit for members of the public in
the US, UK and Germany is 0.25mSv, 0.3mSv and 0.3mSv respectively. I assume
that these are actually dose constraints of some sort?? Can anyone tell me
if my assumption is correct, or if there is some other significance attached
to these doses in the respective countries.