Re: FedEx blames human error, scans over stray iridium

To have an idea on  this incident (could be an accident of bad
consequences), shipment of 8 (eight) Ir-192 sources total of 866 Curies,
look at the NRC Daily events Report --
http://www.nrc.gov/NRR/DAILY/990427dr.htm and
http://www.nrc.gov/NRR/DAILY/990503dr.htm

Also the subject can be found at "The Ten O'Clock News",
http://wb56.com/news/04279902.htm  --  "Deadly radioactive package goes
missing" -- Bound for Mexico, deadly iridium was lost for 10 days.

To whom those are engaged  on Radiological Emergency Planning  and
Preparedness, this incident,  specially the survey to found the sources,
represents a good training to integrate user, regulatory authority, local
and national emergency response. Also lessons learned should be highly
emphasized.

A few  months ago a serious radiological accident happened in Turkey,
sixteen persons were exposed to radiation to doses from 1 to 5 Gy. Despite
long survey  a 700 Ci Co-60 source still was not found.

Accidents have caught  countries by surprise (Chernobyl and Goiania). Also
the above cases.

I have been informed in this list about many Congress and Symposium
on Safety and Radiation Protection, however Emergency does not have enough
attention. Also training,  on Radiological Emergency is not realistic.

J. J. Rozental
josrozen@netmedia.net.il
Israel