RE: Definition of Clothing Contamination

> issuing disposable modesty garments (scrubs) for use
> under antic's in 1991.  These were considered protective clothing, and if
> they became contaminated, they were disposed of and a new set issued.  We
> did not have to report this as a contamination incident.  Our reportable
> clothing contamination incidents were reduced to nearly 0

Programs such as above appear to be designed to preclude the
recording of an incident. In other words, establish the policy and
limitations to eliminate all incidents from being classified as a
"hit", be it an unexpected dose, contamination event, human factors
error, etc. It is very simple to set-up definitions for any type of
activity, such that it will be considered acceptable. If this is
truly the goal, then why establish an indicator at all? As I stated
previously, this is nothing more than creative goal setting and
tracking. I see no difference in the above then also establishing a
contamination incident only if the value exceeds 100,000 DPM. Of
course there would be the NRC and INPO involvement, so, deriving a
new definition is the simpler method.

The question to be asked is, what is the purpose of the indicator,
and, how will the information be used. If the true value is to
determine why there are contamination incidents that are occurring
when wearing outer PCs, and to mitigate these causes, then truly
tracking all incidents is essential. If your goal is to have 0 hits
on your indicator chart, or to not even account for that, then anyone
can set up a program that will be totally useless, and, give you all
a sense of false security. I call this the "Emperors New Clothes"
hierarchy of indicators and prevention.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205