Carbon? and nuke power

I came across the excerpt below from a glowing review of the host
web sit by a person who referred to nuclear power as "that terrible
industry."

You can find the whole web article at

http://www.counterpunch.org/nukes.html

It appears to be a cafeteria-style anti site.

My question deals with the excerpt below, specifically with the
authors' description of "carbon" (not CO2) as the real villian in power
production.  My first reaction is that the authors are misinformed at
best, but I thought I'd ask for some other opinons.

<<<<<Excerpt from http://www.counterpunch.org/nukes.html<<<

"... Sadly, some of the more eye-grabbing numbers in the NEI's
report simply don't check out. For example, the nuclear industry
claims that the world's 447 nuclear plants reduce CO2 emissions by
30 percent. But the true villain behind global warming is carbon.
Existing nuclear plants save only about 5 percent of total carbon
emissions, hardly much of a bargain given the costs and risks
associated with nuclear power. Moreover, the nuclear lobby likes to
compare its record to coal-fired plants, rather renewables such as
solar, wind, and geothermal. Even when compared to coal, nuclear
power fails the test if investments are made to increase the efficient
use of the existing energy supply. One recent study by the Rocky
Mountain Institute found that 'even under the most optimistic cost
projections for future nuclear electricity, efficiency is found to be 2.5
to 10 times more cost effective for CO2-abatement. Thus, to the
extent that investments in nuclear power divert funds away from
efficiency, the pursuit of a nuclear response to global warming
would effectively exacerbate the problem.'"

Thanks in advance!
My own personal/non-corporate thoughts,
v/r
Michael