Biological Damage from Internal P-32

>I am looking for information for a colleague regarding potential biological
>effects of P-32 in the bloodstream leaking from an implanted medical
device.
>Specifically, at what levels might actual biological damage occur (from
>radiation)? To which organs, or rather, what would be the most sensitive
organ?
>I do not know the chemical form, but assume it would be (relatively)
innocuous.

I don't think of P-32 in the body as innocuous.  My estimate of bone marrow
dose is 7.6 mGy/MBq (28 rad/mCi), that is per unit activity injected into
the blood.  This is based on the standard ICRP model for P-32 sodium
phosphate.  This should be a reasonable chemical form to assume.  The marrow
is particularly radiosensitive, as I'm sure you know - ICRP 60 cites a
threshold of perhaps 0.5 Gy and an LD50-60 of 3-5 Gy.

Michael Stabin, PhD, CHP
Departamento de Energia Nuclear/UFPE
Av. Prof. Luiz Freire, 1000 - Cidade Universitaria
CEP 50740 - 540
Recife - PE
Brazil
Phone 55-81-271-8251 or 8252 or 8253