Re: Radioactivity in sewer sludge

Scott, High Plains Drifter, and Jim Muckerheide:

I was just getting ready to respond to an earlier post, when this post from Scott Dennerlein came in. I agree with Scott's response here. In addition there may be potential concerns about worker exposures.

Yes, it will be a difficult job to do this survey. So far, though, we are getting a good response from POTWs to the questionnaire stage of the project (we're keeping our fingers crossed). Some of the POTWs are actually interested in finding out what may be at or may have gone through their facilities--it seems that perhaps it is better to find out what is there sooner rather than later.

In answer to Jim Muckerheide's concern about the (un)usefulness of the project: We are trying to perform this work in such a way that if public fears are unfounded the fears may be allayed. We are certainly not trying to encourage baseless fear-mongering.

Duane.

Duane Schmidt, CHP
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
NMSS/DWM/DCB
Mail Stop T-7F27
Washington, DC 20555
mailto:   dws2@nrc.gov

>>> scott dennerlein <sdennerlein@radsci.com> 7/28/99 12:53:43 PM >>>
There has been some questioning of the existence of  sewer- to- human
internal exposure pathways. There is a trend in the POTW's to sell the
dewatered sludge as a fertilizer for grain crops or other  vegetables.
This is clearly the pathway of concern. The NRC document "Evaluation of
Exposure Pathways to Man from Disposal of Radioactive Materials into
Sanitary Sewer Systems (NUREG/CR-5814) is very interesting reading. I
will be the author of a chapter in an upcoming CRC Press book "Land
Application of Sewer Sludge".  Essentially, it is the literature review
portion of my (ongoing) Doctoral dissertation at Columbia University.

    I wish the NRC/EPA people  lots of luck in their national survey. I
have had a tough time collecting samples. The plant engineers tell me
it's a great idea, and the sample is on its way. A few weeks later I get
a letter from the company lawyer saying they don't wish to participate
at this time!

All HP's should keep an eye on this issue. It will impact all areas in
our field, and may be another opportunity to educate the public.

P.S. The politically correct term is "biosolids" Whatever you call it,
I'm glad I didn't step in it.

All opinions expressed are both my own and the companies,  (I own part
of it, and I'll say what I want!)

Scott Dennerlein
Radiation Science Inc..