Re: FW: X-Ray Radiation and Personnel Monitoring

Since I am not familiar with this machine, I can't give detailed advice.  Here are a few thoughts:

 - Please don't take this personally, but being "RSO by default" is one more example of the trivialization of the health physics "profession."  It's unfair, and potentially dangerous, for you, your employer, and users.

 - I suggest that you have a qualified consultant review your installation and develop procedures, including required monitoring, for the use of this device.

 - x-ray diffractometers can generate beams of thousands of rads per hour.  Thus, even brief exposures cannot be tolerated.

 - Since the machine usually generates narrow beams, I highly recommend individual monitoring for each user.  Finger rings are advised, in addition to whole body dosimeters.

 - The installation should have safety features such as:  a fail safe "beam on" light, and interlocked shutters which will close if the camera or other device which stops the beam is removed.  These devices should be periodically tested.

 - You should have a backscatter monitor installed.  This is an area monitor which is sensitive to low energy photons and which will alarm at low levels or a rate of rise.

 - Inexperienced personnel, such as students, should NEVER work alone.

 - My experience is that researchers will look for ways to bypass safety devices.  Since they are intelligent people (as indicated by the fact that most researchers survive while working in the conditions they create for themselves), they'll find them.  You have to establish and enforce a zero tolerance policy for this.  A potential disaster scenario is when an experienced researcher bypasses a safety device.  He rationalizes that he knows what he's doing.  However, the machine is then turned over to an inexperienced student who is not aware that the machine is booby trapped.

 - I highly recommend that all users view a suitable training film.  The one I used is, "The Double Edged Sword."  This is centered on the experience of a researcher and his family.  The film concludes when one of his children asks, "When will daddy's fingers grow back?"  This generally makes believers out of all but the outliers.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com