Re: What Happened to Greta Dicus

following information distributed by the LLW Forum.

The following information is being sent to you on behalf of the LLW Forum
_________________________

Clinton Plans to Designate New Chair NRC

On August 7, President Bill Clinton announced that he is nominating Richard
Meserve as a member of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Clinton plans
to designate Meserve as Chair upon his appointment. Meserve will replace
Greta Dicus, who has been serving in the interim as Chair since Shirley
Jacksonšs departure in June. Dicus, who is a former Chair of the Central
Interstate Low-Level Radioactive Waste Commission and a former Forum
Participant, has served as an NRC Commissioner since February 1996. She will
continue as a member of the Commission through her current appointment until
June 30, 2003.

Meserve is presently a partner in the Washington, D.C. law firm of Covington
and Burling. His practice focuses on environmental and toxic-tort
litigation, nuclear licensing, and the counseling of scientific societies.
Since 1981, he has served on various committees of the National Academies of
Sciences (NAS) and the National Academy of Engineering. Previously, Meserve
served as a law clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackman and to
Judge Benjamin Kaplan of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. He holds
a J.D. from Harvard Law School and a Ph.D. in applied physics from Stanford
University.

Meservešs appointment to the Commission requires Senate confirmation. To
date, a schedule has not been set for confirmation hearings.

‹Todd Lovinger