Re: Rad-hard oil

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Keith Welch wrote:

> If anyone has any information on suppliers of lubricating oil that is radiation
> resistant (if there is such a thing), could you forward company or point
> of contact information.

Keith,
  In the late 60's & early 70's, I used NRRO-358 (Nuclear Radiation
Resistant Oil) purchased, I think, from Chevron (I can look it up if need
be).  The viscosity decreased slowly until it reached its dose limit of, I
think, 4 X 10^4 Gy.  Then it increased very rapidly due to polymerization.
This probably happens to any oil, but the dose limit on NRRO-358 was
supposedly much higher than other type oil.  At that time, it cost 7 $/qt.
  Les me know if I can be of further help. I still have the records
someplace in my files.
Les Fraley
Colorado State University, Emeritus
les@lamar.colostate.edu