Re: ClF3

>wrong. Sorry, the only help I can give is that it cannot be CF3
>and ClF3.
Of course not: The compound consists of five atoms (as expected) - four
halogens (of which 3 are fluorine) plus a central carbon. The problem in
interpretation when leaving out one atom in a formula (in this case carbon)
is that the unfortunate "C" in "Cl" becomes unclear - especially with word
processors where the letter "l" may be confused with the digit (1) - I know
- the 1 is never written out in standard chemistry but if one thing is wrong
in a formula - there may be more improvisations (=errors). I think that it
is better to "spell out" all involved atoms as we all were taught in school
- rather than improvising some "science slang" where some atoms are skipped.
Thanks again for your comments - I don't think that any more text needs to
be spent on this. I doubt that IUPAC - if it still exists - would have liked
this example./Bjorn   bcradsafers@hotmail.com