RE: Uranium: ClF3, T.C.E. & P.C.E - French abbreviations

At 12:36 20.08.1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Chlorine trifluoride (ClF3) - colorless gas to yellow liquid. Sweet odor.
Spontaneously flammable. Reacts violently with organic matter. Decomposes
when heated or in contact with acids and acids fumes. Emits highly toxic
fumes. Highly reactive. Incompatible with practically everything. Poisonous
and an eye irritant.

>Carbon trifluoride (CF3) - colorless, odorless gas. Mild respiratory
irritant. Narcotic in high concentrations. Decomposes when heated to emit
toxic fumes (F-).

>Rick Edwards, Analyst

Thanks for the information about the ClF3, which explains the high
reactivity. I have a chemistry background, but my courses in inorganic
chemistry have been some decades ago....

My courses in organic chemistry are a few years younger, therefore I still
cannot believe that CF3 (carbon is tetravalent) can exist. CCl4 is a well
know chemical, but what about CCl3.....

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schönhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria