TV Program on Oak Ridge

Against my better judgment (I really find TV irritating and almost never
watch) I watched this program.  It could have been worse.  The vote was
stupid, because not enough information was given to base a reasonably
intelligent vote on.  Moreover, having been in "whistleblower"-type
situations, I frankly do not believe that 58% of the people voting would
actually just pursue their hunches in spite of opposition.  They might think
that's what they would do, but I doubt they really would.  Besides, 58% of
how many?

The program simply had too little information and too little depth.  There
was no idea of when things happened -- what the time line was. When was this
program made?  When did Reid move to Oak Ridge?  When did he leave?  How
many patients were involved?  Over what period of time? We didn't have a
water quality standard for mercury until 1972.  If mercury and beryllium
contamination were discussed, why keep bringing up the radiation trefoil and
talking about "nuclear?"  If Dr. Reid is an oncologist, did he sent
neurological patients to a neurologist?  What did the neurologist think?
How were the health problems shown related to exposure?  Did Reid submit his
findings to an epidemiology journal? If the Reids were so broke they
couldn't move, why didn't Mrs. Reid get a job?   Etc. etc.

The primary problem with the program, as with most TV "investigative
reporting" I have seen, is that there was way too little information given
-- "sound bites", even strung together over 20 minutes, don't make a
coherent story on which decisions could be based.

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Sandia National Laboratories
MS 0718, POB 5800