Re: RADSAFE digest 2615

I performed calibrations on FIDLERs while in the USAF. The radioisotope was Americium-241. We used the 60 KeV gamma as the calibration line for this instrument.

At 10:17 PM 9/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
>A FIDLER (Field Instrument for Detection of Low Energy Radiation) is a meter
>developed around 1965 or so by DOE or DOD for detecting activity in the
>environment from Broken Arrow incidents. I believe it was manufactured by
>Eberline for the agency and had a thin NaI xtal mounted to the window of a
>6" PM tube. A single channel analyzer mounted in a portable hand carried
>meter was the readout. The meter operated in count mode. It was designed to
>detect an x-ray of about 100 kev emitted from Pu which was present at these
>sites. I once had a collection of material on this meter but unfortunatley
>it went away many moves ago. Does this jog someone's memory of this really
>neat survey meter.
>Ralph Shuping
>

>>------------------------------
>>
>>Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:38:10 +0200
>>From: Franz Schoenhofer <schoenho@via.at>
>>To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>>Subject: Re: FIDLERs and Hot Particles
>>
>>At 16:33 01.09.1999 -0500, you wrote:
>>>My name is Craig Marianno and I am in the middle of my literature review
>>>for my Ph.D. in RHP at Oregon State University. My research mainly
>>>revolves around FIDLERs and transuranic "hot particle" detection in the
>>>environment. Unfortunately, articles on these two topics are difficult to
>>>locate and I believe much of the research in this area was completed
>>>around the 60s. I was wondering if anyone may know of any
>>>articles/ grey papers out there on these subjects. Any help would be
>>>welcome.
>>>

>>I actually do not know what a FIDLER is, but we have worked during our
>>sampling and measurement campaign on the Mururoa atoll with detection of
>>hot particles (Am-241 associated with plutonium).
>>
>>If this is what you are interested in, please contact me at my private
>>e-mail address and I can give you the source, where you can find details.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>Franz
>>

>>Franz Schoenhofer
>>Habicherg. 31/7
>>A-1160 Vienna
>>Austria
>>Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
>>Fax.: same number
>>mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
>>e-mail: schoenho@via.at
>>
>>Office:
>>Hofrat Dr. Franz Schönhofer
>>Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
>>Department of Radiochemistry
>>Kinderspitalg. 15
>>A-1095 Vienna
>>Austria
>>Tel.: +43-1-40 490 27820
>>e-mail: schoenhofer@baluf.via.at

Tad Blanchard /___\ /___\ NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
Sr Health Physics Tech O Code 205.9, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Parallax, Inc / \ Phone: 301-286-9157
A Member of the OHI Team /___\
Fax: 301-286-1618
mailto:tmblanch@pop200.gsfc.nasa.gov