Re: Oak Ridge workers'

Because of allegations that workers at the K-25 facility (now known as
East Tennessee Technology Park) have been harmed by exposure to
hazardous and/or radioactive substances, the contractor called in three
occupational physicians to evaluate the situation.  One of these was
chosen by the workers.  The study began over a year ago, and there has
been a great deal of criticism regarding the slow progress and lack of
blood (or other) tests being done in a timely manner.

I have not seen any other reports on results except for this article
(and AP wire copies).  Apparently the study will be officially released
in October.  It's likely that preliminary info was leaked to the
Tennessean reporter, Laura Frank, who then followed up with interviews.
She has taken on the cause of the sick workers and the Tennessean has
developed an opinion (reflected by the editorials published) that the
K-25 workers and nearby residents have been made ill by releases from
the plant, probably from the TSCA Incinerator.  Yet studies and
monitoring data don't back up these claims.  Certainly the Tennessean
article has been slanted to emphasize the not-yet-official results of
the doctors' work that back up their beliefs.

You might note in the article; <<The doctors said they would release
more complete information next month, but the causes of the illness
range from the ingredients of bomb-making, such as beryllium and nickel,
to more common substances, such as fungi.>>  There are a number of cases
of beryllosis (a genetic predisposition to beryllium sensitivity
resulting in lung disease upon exposure) at K-25; these were unexpected
as there was not significant beryllium use at the plant.  Some workers
claim to have been exposed to nickel, which is used in the gaseous
diffusion barriers, and apparently body burdens of nickel have been
found in some workers.

The most interesting exposure is to fungi--primarily molds and their
spores. Since the shutdown of K-25 as a gaseous diffusion facility, its
mission changed to Environmental Management. Containerized low-level
mixed wastes are stored in the vaults in the K-25 building.  Someone got
a bright money-saving idea--turn off the ventilation system.  As a
result, the damp vaults got nasty with molds.  Apparently workers were
not required to wear PPE when monitoring conditions in the vaults, so
exposure to molds was common.  I understand (from a lay perspective)
that this can cause a host of unpleasant and damaging symptoms from
immune system reponse.

Not many workers claim that the radioactivity is implicated in the
illnesses, although some feel that Uranium as a chemical agent may be a
problem.

When the Lockey, Bird & Freeman conclusions are officially released I'll
post a summary or reference to RadSafe.

Regards,
Susan Gawarecki

--
Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director
Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee, Inc.