Re: Question about Karen Silkwood

You can get a four page summary of the Silkwood incident that includes
monitoring results at the following web site:

         http://lib-www.lanl.gov/la-pubs/00326645.pdf  or

         http://lib-www.lanl.gov/pubs/number23.htm
         (scroll down to the Silkwood story near the bottom)

If that doesn't work let me know and I can email you the PDF file.  I have
reproduced a table from that article below.  I believe that all of these
measurements were made at Los Alamos National Lab so the story of samples
being at Hanford seems a little odd.

Table 1:  Amounts of Pu-239 in the Organs of Silkwood

Organ           Pu-239          Concentration
---------               ----------              --------------------
lung            4.5 nCi         4.6 pCi/g
liver           3.2 nCi         2.4 pCi/g
lymph nodes     0.02 nCi        0.80 pCi/g
bone            0 nCi           0 pCi/g

Mike

At 08:49 AM 9/10/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi all-
>
>I was talking to an acquaintance last night and he asked about my job. When
>I told him what I did he said he had a relative who was involved in the
>Hanford cleanup.  This relative told him they had Silkwood's samples there
>(I had mentioned urine samples so I assume that's what he was referring to)
>and that they still "set alarms off" and "they had really loaded her up
>with stuff."  My immediate reaction was skepticism, but I don't really know
>anything about the case (except for the informative movie :)) and I was
>wondering if anyone out there knew anything about these alleged samples.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Liz
>
>******************************
>   Elizabeth M. Brackett, CHP
>      Sr. Health Physicist
>      MJW Corporation, Inc.
>        (330) 644-3757
>   mailto:brackett@bright.net

Michael C. Baker, Ph.D., P.E.
Environmental Technology Group
Environmental Science & Waste Technology Division
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Mail Stop J594, Los Alamos, NM 87545

mcbaker@lanl.gov

(505) 667-7334 (phone)