Re: Posting of "Beta" Radiation Areas

Ray Weedon stated the following:

> Beta dose could be considered a risk issue for DDE for the eyes.  In most
> power plants, workers typically wear safety glasses or other types of eye
> protection which provide sufficient shielding that DDE to the eyes is not of
> concern.

While the question concerns posting requirements, the issue of
potential risk should be addressed, as stated by Ray above. For there
to be a risk from beta exposure to penetrate the cornea and lens of
the eye, the beta energy has to be very high. Per 10 CFR 20, the LDE
dose limit is 15 rem/yr at a depth of 0.3 cm. In a study conducted at
FPL years ago, we determined that 95% of all beta dose found from
normal plant work around valves and other beta source components was
attenuated by 70 mg/cm^3. While I am not positive, I believe that the
thickness of the lens of the eye exceeds this value.

In my opinion, it is a rare occurrence where the eye becomes a
critical entity when working around beta sources, unless the energy
is high enough to not only penetrate the 0.3 cm, but also 1 cm.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205

              - G. K. Chesterton -