RE: 9999

Yes I remember (and used) Hollerith cards.

9999 was the upper limit of the system for line numbers, and was often used
as a default, that way.  It was also used as an end of file or end of record
marker by some programmers (not the system). An end-of-file would have been
an ASCII control character in hexadecimal, probably "null" (FFFF 0000).

Dave Neil
neildm@id.doe.gov