Re: How to explain that "no risk" can't be proven (EMF)

In a message dated 09/15/1999 3:09:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rfweine@sandia.gov writes:

<< Finally, ask the person requesting the explanation to describe a zero risk
 activity or situation.  I'll bet you no one can! >>

That's an excellent idea...Making them do the work will really point out the
fact that there is risk associated with everything...I like this idea...I
hope you don't mind if I use it sometime.

I also think the question of voluntary vs. involuntary risk is very
interesting.  I took an administrative law seminar last semester, and one
woman was adamant that no involuntary risk level was acceptable....Her
position was that factories, e.g., emitting any effluents not "proven" to be
safe should be closed...The fact that hundreds, or thousands, might be put
out of work was completely unimportant to her.  The fact that this "factory"
might be producing life-saving medicines for others was moot....In her mind,
it did not mitigate any risk, even though it increased the risk of poor
health care, poor nutrition, depression, etc. for those families
affected....To her THAT was a "voluntary" risk, because they "should have
known" that working in that industry was bad....And, to the ill patients who
suffer because the factory is closed down and can't produce their
medicine...well, her answer was why should someone else suffer involuntarily
to save you.

Sheesh.

Barbara L. Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com