RE: How to explain that "no risk" can't be proven (EMF)

Bjorn, it's really a multi-part question.  "Danger," and especially the
perception of danger, are generally relative rather than absolute.  E.g.,
mountain climbing is more dangerous than hiking on a forest trail, but the
latter has some inherent danger as well (albeit not much); downhill skiing
is more dangerous than cross-country skiing, etc.  There are no "zero risk"
activities -- even sleeping carries the risk of sleep apnea.  Personal daily
risk decisions are always made on the basis of relative risk, and not always
for the lower-risk option (e.g., cooking involves all sorts of burn risks,
yet we cook or heat food that could perfectly well be eaten raw and cold).

That raises the, to my mind spurious, question of voluntary v. involuntary
risk (mountain climbing is dangerous but I choose to do it voluntarily).  A
interesting response is the old chestnut about driving (or riding in) a car
-- an indisputably risky activity.  If one must drive from one's home to
one's job, is that car ride voluntary or involuntary?

Finally, ask the person requesting the explanation to describe a zero risk
activity or situation.  I'll bet you no one can!

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Sandia National Laboratories
MS 0718, POB 5800