RE: Asking for opinions -Reply

I have worked at DOE facilities for 12 years.  I spent 9.5 years at the NTS
(5.5 as an RCT and 4 as a Health Physicist) and have been at the ETTP
(formerly K-25) Site for 2.5 years as an RCT.  At both places we take our
TLDs home.  As an HP at the Test Site I have done a few dose investigations.
It turned out that most of the unexpected doses were non-occupational.  A
prime example is the worker who would take his Security badge/dosimeter off
and put it in the same orange dish on the bar every night.  I guess everyone
can guess that the orange dish turned out to be fiesta ware.  This happened
a lot.  People forgot their badges in the morning and would have to be
issued temporary badges.  Chromic forgetters would have their badges taken
by security when they left and returned in the morning.  I asked why they
didn't do this for everyone so that they would have better control of the
dosimeters.  I was told that it would be too much trouble to take dosimeters
from 6000 people and return them every morning.
Here in Oak Ridge, they use automated badge readers to allow access.
Private vehicles aren't allowed.  The dosimeters are attached to the badge
for convenience.  I suppose they figure convenience outweighs control.

Terry Harmon, RRPT
SR. HP Tech
Kelly Scientific Resources
Phone: (423) 241-0281