RE: Asking for opinions -Reply

As a former dosimetrist at the NTS, I would like to suggest that there are a
couple of considerations that make such a site unique.  First, employees are
distributed over 1350 square miles (excluding Las Vegas support facilities).
Second, radioactivity is distributed over 1350 square miles (certainly not
uniformly nor completely).  At least under past regulatory direction, it was
considered necessary to ensure that all employees entering the NTS wear a
primary dosimeter (regardless of job function).  This rules out badge racks at
work locations.  And with thousands (before significant downsizing) entering the
site in private vehicles and busses through only a couple of access points, the
resultant traffic congestion would have been less than *convenient*.  It seems
to me that it comes down to how circumstances allow a program to distribute its
resources.  I am sure that most dosimetrist would love the opportunity to have a
badge rack at an entry portal. But, if dosimeters must be sent home on bodies,
the program will be forced into more dose investigations.  Are these
investigations (and a suggested increase in legal liability) more costly than
re-engineering roadway access points, and the thousands of annual person-hours
(either personal or occupational) lost during badge pick-up/drop-off?  It seems
that it is more of a cost-benefit determination, than a consideration of
badge-control theory.

My opinion only.

Joel R. Hoyt
PNNL